155 g self-raising flour
1 medium egg, beaten
25 g cocoa powder
90 g dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla flavouring
50 g chocolate chips
90 g light brown soft sugar
90 g butter, or margarine
50 g white chocolate bar, cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg gradually.
- Add the cocoa and flour and mix a bit more.
- Add the chocolate and mix until just combined.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture onto a greased baking tray. Teaspoons give small cookies for polite company, dessertspoons make cookies just like the gooey ones you can buy in supermarkets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on size.
- Leave to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooking rack.
- When cool store in an airtight box somewhere the children can’t reach. If you can get the cookies hidden before anyone finds them they keep for about a week, otherwise about 20 minutes…
It's important to use both light and dark brown sugars, that's what makes the amazing yummy gooey texture. Billingtons fairtrade sugar, Divine fairtrade chocolate and Green and Blacks fairtrade cocoa are all available in Tesco. Tesco Finest range also includes a fairtrade white chocolate bar to use for the white chocolate chunks.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help