275ml double cream
55ml chicken stock
1/2 lemon, juiced
4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
55ml tarragon vinegar
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, heaped
175ml Worcestershire sauce
8 chicken thigh, or drumsticks. Skinned and seasoned
- Melt the butter in a big frying pan or casserole.
- When really hot add the chicken and sauté gently until golden on all sides.
- Lower heat so butter doesn't burn.
- Remove chicken to a plate and pour away all but 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Add shallots to the remaining butter and fry until golden.
- Add vinegar and turn up the heat - reduce until all the vinegar has evaporated.
- Repeat with the wine but only until it has reduced to a syrup.
- Add chicken, chicken stock and lemon juice.
- Simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add cream and turn up the heat to heat up the cream.
- Stir juices together and heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add tarragon, season to taste and serve with boiled new potatoes and garlicky-lemony green beans.
Tarragon vinegar is avaiable in most big supermarkets. If you cook this in a big shallow casserole you can serve it straight form the pan at the table.
If cooking for children and adults and have some fussy eaters, saute more chicken than required for the recipe and put it in the oven to finish cooking for about 15 minutes. Then you can serve plain chicken to the fussier eaters.