150 g caster sugar
150 ml water
1 bar of chocolate
- Quarter oranges and peel, slice peel into 1 cm strips and then take as much pith off as you can (easiest to do it like filleting fish, lay it skin side down and hold flat knife, and run it along).
- Boil 500ml water with 150g sugar for 5 minutes.
- Add the peel and simmer without stirring for a few hours until liquid is quarter its original volume.
- Drain peels and dip in caster sugar then lay on rack in very low oven to dry out.
- When dry, dip in melted chocolate (plain better than milk, but milk works fine).
As you don't need to do much to it apart from slicing and dipping in sugar it's very child friendly when the peels are out of the hot sugar syrup.
Keeps for ages in airtight container. I wrap it and send it for presents up to 3 or 4 weeks before Christmas, but once open it doesn't last long.
Kids can help