1/2 vegetable stock cube
1 splashes olive oil
1 bags fresh spinach, or 3-4 cubes of frozen spinach
350 g rice, preferably arborio or canaroli
25-50 g soft cheese
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 handfuls Parmesan, (to garnish)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil.
- Slowly soften the onion in the olive oil on a very low heat, do not brown it, in a non stick frying pan.
- Add the stock cube and spinach to the boiling water.
- When the spinach is cooked, drain and keep the now green vegetable water.
- Squeeze as much of the water as you can out of the spinach into the pan of veg water.
- Add the rice to the onions and coat all the rice in the oil, add a little more oil if needed.
- Add a ladle of the veg water to the rice, keep stirring and don't let it stick.
- As the water evaporates, keep adding ladle by ladle and stirring all the time until all the water has gone or the rice is cooked.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add the spinach and the cheese.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or grana padano.
If you don't have the time to stand and stir, ladle by ladle, you can add all the stock after the first ladle and put in the oven on a low heat or leave on the hob on a very low heat. The results aren't quite as good but still tasty.