1 orange juiced and zested
1 cinnamon stick
- Sterilise a jar and lid by washing in the dishwasher.
- Place cranberries over a high heat in a non-stick pan. Add the sugar and stir for a minute to allow it to begin to caramelise.
- Add zest and juice of an orange and mix to begin to dissolve sugar.
- Add port and cinnamon stick and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for approx 10 minutes until cranberries begin to break up. Remove cinnamon stick. It should resemble sauce with some whole soft cranberries ie not total mush.
- Taste for sweetness as some cranberries are more tart than others - if required add another spoonful of sugar then taste. Repeat until desired sweetness is achieved.
- Put the sauce in the clean jar and store in the fridge until ready to serve with roast chicken or turkey.
Also good served as sandwiches on a crusty baguette - cranberry bacon and brie for a festive brunch.