1 tsp mustard
75g mature cheese, or more if you like it really cheesy
50g plain flour
5 slices bread, (1 for breadcrumbs, 4 to serve)
- Put eggs on to boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a pan.
- Add the flour to the butter, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk in the milk bit by bit, stirring constantly and heating gently until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add mustard and season.
- Grate cheese and stir into sauce.
- Meanwhile, put the cooked eggs under cold water in order to peel them, but not so they cool down completely.
- Preheat grill.
- Cut eggs length-ways and place in oven proof dish large enough to accommodate all the ingredients (preferably with the egg halves in one layer).
- Pour cheese sauce over the eggs, making sure they are all covered.
- Sprinkle over breadcrumbs and a bit more grated cheese if you like.
- Place under grill for a few minutes until breadcrumbs browned.
- Serve immediately with plenty of crusty bread for dunking and mopping up.