225g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
225g brown, or caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp cinnamon
200g unsalted butter
455g fresh pumpkin
4 medium eggs, (organic or free range)
- Chop pumpkin and then whizz in food processor into tiny squishy pieces
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl, add vanilla if you want.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Whisk the pumpkin into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the eggs and dry ingredients alternately; continue whisking.
- Pour into bun tins: into paper cases or greased tins as preferred, or into ungreased flexible moulds (which are brilliant!)
- Bake in oven at 175C/ Gas Mark 4 for 20-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the buns comes out cleanly
- Leave to cool a bit, then turn out onto cooling rack
They can be a bit sticky, so best kept in fridge overnight if not eaten all at once Can be eaten as they are, or iced, or decorated with marzipan coloured brown and cut into bat shapes, etc
Kids can help