Serves: 4(1 Vote)
1/2 pints double cream
1 1/2 pints full fat milk
100g short grain pudding rice
1 tbsp butter, (optional)
1 vanilla pod
- There are two ways of doing this, both equally easy. The oven method I tend to use if I've got the oven on anyway. Put all the ingredients into a large-ish saucepan, except the vanilla pod, which needs to be laid flat, sliced open horizontally and the seeds scraped out and added to the pan.
- I always stick the empty pod in as well; there seems no point wasting it and it’s easy enough to take out at the end.
3.Then put the saucepan over a low heat with a lid on and bring to a gentle boil, simmering for about 50 minutes to an hour, stirring now and then to stop it sticking.
- When it thickens, it’s ready but bear in mind it will thicken again quite considerably as it stands, so it’s best to err on the side of slightly thinner than you want it, especially if you’re not eating it straight away.
- If you’re cooking this in the oven, put the whole lot in a lidded oven proof dish and give it 2 – 2 ½ hours at 170-180C. I do find the oven version tends to take a bit more milk, but it’s easier to adjust this at the end than to guess at the beginning.
- The vanilla pod, once fished out, washed thoroughly and dried for a day or two, can be stuck in a jar of caster sugar for making cakes etc. I do this so often that my sister in law thought I was keeping a dead spider in a jar in the pantry!