1 onion, chopped
2 tins tuna
2 cloves garlic, chopped
500 g tagliatelle
1 tin cream of tomato soup
200 ml cream
200 ml smooth plain cottage cheese
1 handful medium or strong cheddar cheese
1 tbsp flavouring, (eg salt, pepper, basil or red wine, optional)
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on packet.
- In the meantime in a medium saucepan, fry the onion until translucent. Add the garlic.
- Flake the tuna and add to the onions, fry together for a minute or two.
- Add the cream of tomato soup, red wine (if using) and spices.
- Add a little water if mixture seems to thick. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime in a large mixing bowl, mix the cream, smooth cottage cheese and half of the cheddar cheese. If too thick add a little milk. Leave to stand.
- In an oven-proof dish place first a layer of cooked pasta and then a layer of tuna sauce, then a layer of white sauce.
- Continue until all ingredients have been used. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 190C for about 20-30 minutes until cheese topping is turning brown.
- Very important - remove from oven and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes, otherwise the dish will be runny.
- This is even better eaten the next day.
Leave to stand before serving.