1 onion, diced
60ml olive oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 bunches coriander, leaves picked
10 curry leaves
250g yellow lentils , (channa dhal)
4-5 dried red chillis
- Soak the chickpeas and lentils in cold water overnight. Rinse well and drain.
- Whizz to a rough paste in a food processor.
- Put the cumin seeds, curry leaves, coriander, chillies and onion in a food processor and whizz to a paste.
- Add the chickpea mixture and whizz again.
- With the processor still running, add 60ml olive oil in a steady stream - you should end up with a heavy paste that you can mould with a spoon.
- Heat a wok or saucepan that's two-thirds full of oil until it is hot enough to fry a small piece of the paste in 1 minute.
- Form the paste into quenelles using 2 spoons, or go a bit more free form and spoon into rougher shapes.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden and crunchy.
- Serve with sweet chilli or spicy chilli sauce.
just go with the rougher shapes, it looks more authentic.