175 g self-raising flour, sieved
150 g butter
150 g caster sugar
400 g caramel
1 tins apple slices, drained and half of the slices roughly chopped
3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line the base of a 22-23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, with a little of the flour after each addition.
- Gently fold in the remaining flour until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add the chopped apple and gently swirl in 3/4 can caramel – do not over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into the tin; arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the cake, cutting any thick slices lengthways.
- Spoon the remaining caramel over the top of the cake, then bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
Delicious served warm with crème fraîche.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help