2 tbsp milk
1 pinch sugar, (optional)
1 pinch cinnamon
2 tins peach slices in syrup
1/2 packet of shortcrust pastry mix
- Empty the cans into a sieve and drain the syrup, giving them a very quick rinse with some cold water.
- Put peaches into a saucepan with a generous pinch of cinnamon. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, turn down and simmer until the peach slices are just starting to go soft.
- Transfer the peaches to an oven-proof dish. (Steps 1-3 can be done in advance, and peaches covered and left until you need it later).
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- In a bowl, empty half the pack of pastry mix, add about half buttermilk and mix. Then, add the rest of the buttermilk and mix. You are aiming for a very wet, sticky dough. Add a tablespoon or 2 of milk if needed.
- Dollop the mixture on top of the peaches and sprinkle with a little sugar (demerara works well) if using.
- Bake in the oven until the 'cobbles' are risen and golden, about 30-40 minutes. (But check depending on how efficient your oven is!)
- Serve warm with custard, cream, ice cream or whatever you fancy!
Add a little brown sugar when cooking the peaches for extra flavour.
Biscuit and sweets