150ml double cream
1 tsp sugar (to taste)
3 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice (to taste)
- Core and chop apples (you can skin them if you really want to; if you keep the skins it changes the colour, but that's all).
- Cook gently with some sugar (a few teaspoons) and a squeeze of lemon juice until it's soft, and then purée.
- Adjust sugar and lemon juice to taste. Leave to cool.
- Make a meringue-type mix, by whisking the egg whites to soft peaks then slowly spoon in the sugar, until the mixture is glossy.
- Whisk cream to similar consistency.
- Very gently mix the apple and cream and then incorporate the meringue. Cool in fridge for a few hours or overnight preferably.
This is a delightfully refreshing, but very rich, pudding. Excellent way of using up surplus apples.
Kids can help