Serves: 4(3 Votes)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 large onion
1 chicken stock cube
2 cloves garlic
500g new potatoes, (large potatoes also are fine, just chop up small)
2 carrot, large; cut into batons
150g plain flour
2 handfuls fresh mixed herbs
750g chicken thigh, (7-8 thighs)
- Chop the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- On the hob, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed ovenproof casserole pot.
- Fry the onion until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove onion and mushrooms to a plate.
- Mix the flour with the black pepper and salt to create seasoned flour.
- Chop the chicken and coat the chicken pieces with the flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the pot and add the chicken until brown.
- Make the chicken stock. Add half the stock to the pot.
- Add the cooked onions, mushrooms, carrots (cut into batons), potatoes and herbs.
- Add the other half of the stock and bring the liquid back to the boil, cover with casserole lid.
- Either turn down heat on hob to a simmer or put in oven at 180C, for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Mix and match the veg and seasoning ingredients. A spot of lemon adds freshness (but not too much or it can taste bitter).
Serve with beans or broccoli if you want some greenery.
For a change leave out the new potatoes and serve with mash instead.
Add 5 tbsp of white wine after step 9 when serving to adults, for added flavour.