Serves: 12(1 Vote)
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
100g light brown soft sugar
100g hazelnuts roasted, chopped
1 tin Carnation caramel
5 tbsp vegetable or corn oil
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/Gas Mark 5.
- Place dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder - in a bowl and mix together well.
- In a separate bowl, or large jug, mix wet ingredients - eggs, milk, oil, vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry and stir until just combined - don't beat.
- Stir half the nuts into the mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of the Caramel into mixture and gently swirl through but don't mix it in - it's nice to get little pockets of Caramel inside the muffins.
- Place muffin cases in a 12-hole muffin tin. Spoon mixture into cases until quite full and top with remaining nuts.
- Bake for 18-20 mins until risen and golden. Can be served warm or cold, good with a cup of coffee or as a pudding with cream.
You can buy ready-chopped hazelnuts in 100g bags, saves measuring and chopping. I spread them on a baking tray and put them in the oven for 5 minutes while it's pre-heating to bring out the flavour.
You can warm these muffins up in the microwave quite succesfully, about 20 secs is enough.
Kids can help