350g self-raising flour
175g soft brown sugar
2 tsp mixed spice, heaped
2 tsp demerara sugar, heaped
1 eggs, beaten
175g butter, melted on gentle heat in a pan
225g Bramley apples, cored, peeled and chopped into 2-3cm pieces
- Line a free-form 19cm cake tin.
- Mix together chopped apples, sultanas, milk and sugar, and set aside.
- Sieve flour and mixed spice into large mixing bowl and run in melted butter, mixing to a lumpy consistency.
- Add the chopped apples, sultanas, milk and sugar and stir.
- Add the egg and stir until a smoother consistency with the lumps of fruit is achieved.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin.
- Sprinkle demerara sugar on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 170C for 1.5-1.75 hours. Check the cake after 1.5 hours by pushing a metal skewer into the centre, if it comes out clean then it's done.
- When it's done, remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool upside down.
Eat with a cup of tea!
Kids can help