2 tbsp butter
6 red onion, can use white onions but the result isn't as pretty
500g puff pastry, one pack of ready made
2 blocks goat's cheese
6 tbsp vinegar, or 1 tbsp per onion
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Melt in a large saucepan the butter and vinegar.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Add to the melted butter and vinegar and cook on a very low heat for at least half an hour. (The cooking on the low heat get the onions to release their natural sweetness). If at this point they are not soft, you can always turn up the heat and add a little bit of sugar.
- Butter and flour a 20cm tart tin.
- Flour a work surface and roll out the pastry, (feel free to make your own, but frozen pastry is perfectly acceptable).
- Fit the pastry into the tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When slightly brown take out of the oven and fill with onion mixture and crumble goats cheese over the top.
- Put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Leave to stand for 2 minutes and serve.