Serves: 12(1 Vote)
1 pinch nutmeg
4 large potatoes peeled
115g plain flour
1 small onion grated (you can use a food processor)
- Heat about a 1/3 inch of oil in a heavy frying pan until very hot.
- While the oil is heating, place the flour, eggs, onion, salt and pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Quickly grate the potatoes in a food processor, using the thin grating blade for soft latkes or the thick grater blade for crunchier latkes.
- Add the potatoes to the batter, mixing quickly with a spoon and without pressing too hard in order not to draw unwanted moisture.
- Work quickly so they do not have time to discolour.
- Form small cakes of the thick batter with both hands without squeezing too tight, and lower them into the hot oil (at this point reduce the flame just slightly: leave it on high but not the highest), or drop the batter by heaping tablespoons.
- Fry until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream.
If you fancy these latkes for breakfast, try serving them with a poached egg.
Not only are these great Hannukah fare - they are perfect as nibbles at parties or even for breakfast with poached eggs.