1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
4 chicken breast
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 large shallots
16 slices parma ham
1 clove garlic
- Wilt the spinach in boiling water then drain and squeeze most of the moisture out. Set aside.
- Fry the shallots in a little oil until golden. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, be careful not to over heat as this can burn the slice but it should be cooked for 2 or 3 minutes stirring into the shallots and garlic.
- Now add the spinach and mix.
- Put the spinach mix in a bowl and add the feta cheese. Mix well, I usually mix with a knife then once cool enough with my hands. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Trim any fat off the chicken breast and with a very sharp thin knife make a small cut into the thick end of the breast long enough to get 2 fingers in. Then cut into the breast to form a pocket. I do this by having the knife parallel to the chopping board and half way up the thickness of the breast and covering the breast with my hand push the knife into the chicken and cut from side to side. Much easier done than said.
- With your fingers stuff the spinach/feta mix into the chicken.
- Then lay 3 pieces of parma ham on a baking tray with their long sides just overlapping. Lay the chicken breast on top with its top side down onto the ham. With the 4th piece of ham lay it lengthways along the breast concentrating on tucking the ham under the thick end to “seal” the cut for the stuffing. Then wrap over the ends of the 3 pieces of ham so the chicken is fully wrapped. I often tuck in the thin end to even out the cooking time.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. This will vary depending on your own oven and the thickness of the chicken. The first time you do this I suggest after 20 mins cut into the thick end and check for colour. I find that usually I need 25 mins but up to 30 mins on thick pieces of chicken.
- I serve on a bed of steamed broccoli, cauliflower and shredded Savoy cabbage. Pour the juices over the chicken on veg.
This is a great favourite with my family and I do this about once every 2 weeks. It also does very well if you have friends round as it tastes and looks great.