175g caster sugar
3 large egg whites
- Heat the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or silicone paper or another non stick liner.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks. They should be stiff enough for you to turn the bowl upside down but try not to make them completely rigid.
- Add the caster sugar a little at time, whisking it in before adding more, until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Spoon blobs onto the paper in rounds or ovals. Size doesn't matter. If you're making a Pavlova you'll want to make one large meringue.
- Place the sheet in the middle rack of the oven, turn down the temperature to 140C/Gas Mark 1 and cook for 1 hour. At this point, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until it has completely cooled, overnight is fine.
- When they're ready, sandwich together with cream or creme fraiche, serve them plain or crush them to make Eton Mess, it's entirely up to you.
Don't worry about adding cornflour or vinegar, meringues work perfectly without them.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help