150g self-raising flour
200g icing sugar
150g caster sugar
1 tbsp strawberry flavouring
3 medium eggs, beaten
1/2 drops red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Beat the butter and sugar together, if making with your children you may want to start this off as it can be a little tough to start with. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs together and add to butter/sugar mixture, beat together. If the mixture starts to separate, add a tablespoon of flour.
- Add the strawberry flavouring.
- Sift and gently fold in the flour.
- Spoon into 12 cup cake cases, fill quite liberally, it works out about 2 heaped teaspoons per case.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until just golden on top and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Set aside to cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream icing, beat the butter and icing sugar, add the strawberry flavouring and food colouring and beat until smooth.
- Use a knife to cut out a circle on each cupcake, point the knife down in a slight angle so you are cutting out a 'V' shape. Remove cut out piece, cut in half to make two semi circles and set aside.
- Put 1 and a half teaspoons of buttercream in the hole in the cake and top with the two semi circles to make butterfly wings. Do this for the rest of the cakes.
To ensure the correct pink colour that you desire, I dip a teaspoon handle into the food colouring and tap it on the side of the bowl, mix the buttercream again and repeat doing this until I get the colour desired.
Kids can help