1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soft brown sugar, crumbled over mixture
125g wholemeal flour
125g plain flour
- Sift both flours into a large bowl. Add back the extra bran flakes left in the sieve to the bowl.
- Now add in the salt, sugar and the buttermilk.
- Mix first with a wooden spoon and then lightly form with floured hands into a small ball.
- Take a sharp knife and cut a deep cross in the top of the loaf.
- If you like, you can also sprinkle some bran flakes on the top of the loaf at this point.
- Put on a very lightly greased baking tray in the oven at 230C/Gas Mark 8 for around 12 minutes. After that turn the oven down to 200C/Gas Mark 6 for 15 more minutes.
- Take the loaf out and test it, it's done when you hear a hollow sound if you knock the bottom of the loaf.
If you don't want a hard crust to form, wrap the loaf in a clean tea towel when it's had a moment to cool after coming out of the oven.
Kids can help