1/2 tsp salt
100g cheese grated
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cloves garlic
3 potatoes peeled and sliced 1cm thick
3/4 tsp mixed herbs
300ml single cream
6 slices bacon
3/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan.
- Coat a 6"x12” baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine the spices in a bowl and mix them well. This will save time when building the gratin.
- Peel and slice the potatoes. Pre-boil the potatoes to make them soft.
- Whilst they are cooking, thinly dice the onion and cut the bacon into ½ cm cubes. Cook until nearly done. Add a couple a cloves of garlic if you want.
- Start building the gratin by putting a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan. You want to arrange them like shingles, with ends overlapping a little bit.
- Once you complete the bottom layer, sprinkle them with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and then add the bacon, onion and garlic. You do not want to cover the potatoes completely.
- Add the rest of the potatoes, in the same manner as before. Then add the spices and cheese.
- Pour the single cream over the potatoes.
- Pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Top the gratin with the cheese.
- Cook it for 40 minutes, so the cheese is cooked.
- Serve with vegetables and nice bread if more than 2-3 people eating.
Kids can help