Serves: 12(1 Vote)
225g self-raising flour
1 pinch salt
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1 pinch ground black pepper (to taste)
50g mature cheddar cheese grated
- Heat the oven to 220C/Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease baking tray
- Mix together the flour, salt and rub in the butter.
- Add in the cheese, onion and pepper, then slowly add enough milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead, lightly. Roll out using a rolling pin until about 2cm thick, depending on how large you want your scones, I use a 5cm/2in cutter to make the scones.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones until you have used it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
My daughter makes these for her lunchbox, she likes them really cheesy, so we always add a bit more cheese and if you don't like onion omit it.
Also with the milk, if you add too much and found it has gone too sticky add some more flour.
Kids can help