1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g light muscovado sugar
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
50g chocolate chips
280g plain flour
50g hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Butter a 20 x 13cm loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. The mixture may look curdled, but this is normal.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, hazelnuts, chocolate chips and buttermilk then stir into the egg mixture.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda on top of the wet ingredients and fold until mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes until a skewer pushed in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave for about 10 minutes, then turn it out of the tin on to a cooling rack to cool.
- Slice and enjoy!
The hazelnuts can be exchanged for pecans, walnuts, peanuts - whatever is your favorite! The choc chips can also be exchanged - try raisins or other dried fruit…
Kids can help