125 g butter
125 g icing sugar
125 g brown sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
2 tsp mixed spice, or cinnamon
250 g plain flour
- Set the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Grease two baking trays or sheets.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl and add the beaten egg bit by bit.
- Put the flour, salt and spice into a sieve, and add to the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Mix it altogether until it makes a dough.
- Dust a board lightly with flour and dust your rolling pin (or bottle). Roll out the dough to a thickness of half a centimetre. Then using cutters or a knife, make some festive shapes.
- Put the biscuit shapes on the greased trays, and bake on a high shelf in the oven for 15 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Take the biscuits out of the oven and put them on a wire rack until they are cool.
- Make up the icing with the icing sugar and warm water, adding water drip by drip so it is not runny. Add food colouring to the icing if you like, then ice the biscuits.
- Once the icing starts to set, add decorations to suit.
If you don't have festive cutters you can make your own designs with round cutters and a (blunt) knife. If the mixture splits and curdles as you're adding the egg, sprinkle in a little flour.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help