1 tsp vanilla extract
225g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
75g cocoa powder
200ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs
180g plain flour
250g beetroot, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time and next add the vanilla and oil, and blend until smooth. Add the sugar to the mixture.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and lightly mix.
- Pour into a greased and lined 9 inch cake tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.