50ml olive oil
25ml balsamic vinegar
80g pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1kg pasta, farfalle or penne work well
140g rocket salad
150g Parmesan, grated
1 handful fresh basil, most of a planted pot - roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 180C, and put pasta onto boil according to packet instructions.
- Put pine nuts on baking tray into oven to roast for about 10 minutes (check after 5 and don't forget them!), until they are just turning brown.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and rinse under cold water to prevent cooking further.
- To make the dressing, put about 50ml olive oil with 25ml vinegar, garlic and seasoning in seal-able jar, and shake well.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients; place pasta, rocket leaves and torn basil.
- Pour over dressing and mix well. If it requires some more dressing, make up more with oil and vinegar.
- Add grated Parmesan and roasted pine nuts and gently mix in (the cheese and nuts will go to the bottom if you mix in too much).
The quantities shown are for buffet style proportions as that's what I usually make this for!
For smaller numbers, you may want to reduce the relative proportion of pasta, as I tend to bulk it out with pasta for serving as a side dish.
Try not to add the dressing to far in advance of serving or the pasta soaks it all up.