1 1/2 small onion, chopped, (optional)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 dried mixed herbs, (to taste, optional)
1/2 kg new potatoes, or white potatoes such as Maris Piper
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan.
- Wash and scrub potatoes, leaving the skins on
- Pat dry the potatoes in a clean tea towel if you have time, makes them more crispy on the outside when cooked.
- If using new potatoes, leave the small ones whole or cut the larger ones into 2cm pieces. If using white potatoes, cut into 1cm dice.
- Place the potatoes in a roasting dish large enough for them to be in one layer.
- Sprinkle over the garlic, onions and seasoning if using.
- Pour just enough olive oil to coat the potatoes when mixed with a spoon.
- Place in the oven on the top shelf and cook for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside. Turn over and stir half way through cooking.
- Serve with tomato ketchup!
Try mixing white potatoes with a skinned sweet potato, diced to the same size. You can also use skinned and diced butternut squash, although this can be added about half way through the cooking time as it doesn't take as long. The potatoes can be heated up from chilled by putting into a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.