Serves: 0(3 Votes)
30g tartaric acid, (or citric)
- Grate the zest of the lemons into a big heatproof bowl. Remove and discard the pith. Slice the lemon fruit thinly and add to the bowl (along with juice, pips, the lot).
- Add sugar, and 3 pints of boiling water. Stir gently until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the bowl and leave (preferably overnight) to cool.
- Dissolve your tartaric or citric acid in about 150ml water and add to the mixture - this gives it back the tartness the sugar has overpowered. Stir again.
- Strain through a sieve into a clean, empty 2l bottle - you should catch lots of little pieces of lemon peel.
- Store in the fridge, use within a week. Dilute like squash to drink.
Tartaric acid is becoming more difficult to get hold of - try the dispensary at Boots and tell them it's for lemonade, not for some nefarious terrorist activity! I got this from my mum who got it from her mum.