225g self-raising flour
75g cheese, grated
40g butter, or margarine
1 pinch salt
- Sieve flour and salt together, then rub in the butter or margarine.
- Mix in the grated cheese.
- Make a well in the mixture, and add the milk all at once. Mix with a round-ended knife until it becomes dough-like in consistency.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out into a rough circle 0.75 inch thick.
- Use cutters to cut to desired size.
- Put into oven preheated to 220C/200C fan.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until risen.
You can use plain flour with 1/2 tsp of baking powder instead of self-raising flour. Use any hard cheese you want to use up eg cheddar, gruyere, double Gloucester etc.
Kids can help