1 handful flaked almonds, (optional)
5 tbsp whipped cream, (to cover fruit)
1 packet of trifle sponges
3 seedless satsumas, (or clementines or mandarins)
1 tin custard, (to cover fruit)
1 bottle Cointreau, (or other orange liqueur)
230ml orange juice
- Line the base of a bowl with trifle sponges.
- In a glass, combine orange juice and Cointreau till it tastes right - ie not too alcoholic, but not too virtuous.
- Add enough of the liquid to the sponges to soak them (then drink the rest).
- Cover the sponges with a layer of satsuma, clementine and/or mandarin segments, carefully peeled to remove all traces of pith.
- Cover the fruit with custard and leave to cool.
- Cover the custard with plenty of whipped cream.
- Top with more fruit segments, and flaked almonds if you like them.
Save yourself time and trouble by using instant custard
Kids can help