1 lemon finely zested (plus a little juice)
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 ball buffalo mozzarella or other mild soft cheese
1 clove garlic finely sliced
1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
4 medium courgettes cut into thin slices
1 handful mint or basil roughly torn
- Put the courgettes in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of oil and use a pastry brush to get them all lightly coated.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a fairly high heat. Working in batches, sear the courgette slices for about 2 minutes on each side until tender and golden. Transfer them to a shallow dish.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and let it cool down a bit. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, the garlic and lemon zest. Heat very gently for a few minutes – the residual heat in the pan may be enough – you just want to take the raw edge off the garlic and infuse the flavours into the oil.
- Pour the infused oil over the courgettes. Add some salt and pepper, a little squeeze of lemon juice and the mint or basil. Toss together, cover and leave for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Serve with the torn mozzarella scattered over it.