170g self-raising flour
1 tbsp icing sugar to dust, optional
1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
170g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs large
1 bag crumble topping
170g margarine or butter
3 handfuls blackberries
- Cream together the margarine/butter and sugar, add vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add one egg at a time and sift in a little of the flour with each one. Beat well until you have added all three eggs and all the flour.
- Grease a cake tin (I use 8” square one) and add the cake mixture.
- Scatter whole blackberries across the top of the mixture and cover with the packet of crumble mix.
- Cook in pre-heated oven at 180C until the cake is cooked in the middle.
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
- Cut into squares/pieces.
If you put a sharp knife in the middle of the cake and it comes out clean it is cooked (although you may still see some berry juice!) Cake does take a while to cook as it is quite large/deep.
Kids can help