150g icing sugar
1 large lemon zested and juiced
300g plain flour
1 handful hundreds and thousands (optional)
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and mix to a dough.
- Roll out to 3/4cm thick and cut out shapes (I think they look best as stars).
- Place shapes on a greased baking tray.
- Cook at 175C/Gas Mark 4 for 12 minutes.
- Check biscuits, should still be quite a pale colour but starting to harden slightly (they will harden much more when out of the oven).
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cool, sieve icing sugar and mix to a thick paste with the juice of the lemon.
- Spread icing over biscuits and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands if using.
- Keeps well for 3-4 days (if they last that long).
Can be frozen.
- Omit lemon zest and add 50g chopped hazelnuts and 1 1/2 tsp of mixed spice.
- Top with drizzled melted choc instead of icing sugar
- Instead of lemon, add 50g cranberries and 50g white choc drops, top with drizzled white choc.
- When using dried fruit cut out with good quality metal cutters to ensure you can chop through the dried fruit cleanly.
Biscuit and sweets
Kids can help