250g onion, finely chopped
100g cheddar, grated
500g puff pastry, ready made, one pack
2 eggs, beaten
250g cottage cheese, with chives, or plain is fine
100g mushrooms, finely sliced
- Fry the onion on a medium heat until tender, put on one side to cool.
- Roll the pastry out to a large rectangle.
- Put the egg into a large mixing bowl, keeping back 2 teaspoons of it for the glaze.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl, mixing well and season.
- Spread the mix along the centre of the pastry.
- Make slits in the pastry diagonally about two inches apart nearly to the mix, then plait, sealing as you go with water or egg.
- Place pie on a baking sheet sealed edges down.
- Make large diagonal slits in the top. Then use remaining egg to glaze.
- Bake the pie in a hot oven 220C /Gas Mark 7 until pastry is golden and cooked. 25-35 minutes.
For a non-vegetarian option, ham can be added.
I serve hot with new potatoes or cold the next day. Fab eaten cold at a picnic.
Kids can help