The perfect pancake: recipes for Pancake Day
Once again, Pancake Day - or Shrove Tuesday - is upon us. This year, it falls on 9 February. Are you prepared?
Make sure you have a a flipping <arf> great day, with this basic and easy pancake recipe. Once you have that down, we've loads of delicious and creative pancake filling ideas to play around with.
Basic pancake recipe
Makes approx. 6-8 large pancakes
- 125g plain flour (self-raising will do if that's all you have)
- 250ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- Butter/oil (for frying)
- Sift the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a 'well' in the flour and crack the egg in.
- Using an electric hand mixer, or whisk, gradually add the milk until the
consistency is between single and double cream.
- Heat the butter/oil in a frying pan and when hot pour in a cup of the
mixture. (Tip: using a measuring jug to do this makes it easier.)
- When cooked on one side, turn with a spatula (or toss if you don't mind
getting it wrong/have more than five minutes to spare) and cook the other
side until both sides are slightly brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
Firm family favourites
This traditional lemony crepe uses oil in its recipes for an even silkier
Fluffy American pancakes
The classic - smaller, fluffier, and fantastic with maple syrup (and crispy
Bananas, sultanas and creme fraiche make this recipe a great way to start your pancake day.
Spring onions, bacon and chicken stock mean these are great as a main meal or snack.
Make your pancakes more filling and substantial with grated potato and farmhouse cheddar.
Healthier sorts and those that can't have dairy should try these fab green pancakes.
Vibrant veg and crispy bacon top off these fluffy pancakes - ready to plate up in minutes.
A clever way to get some fruit into your children - and delicious to boot.
Go all out with elderflowers, lemon zest and wine(!) to make pancakes which are elegant and delicate.
The slightly heavier texture of these lactose-free pancakes will go down a treat.
Sweet and fluffy with melt-in-the-middle chocolate centres - a chocoholic's dream.
Even more pancake filling ideas
- "Hot smoked honey and mustard salmon, creme fraiche and a squeeze of lemon juice."
- "Nutella and ice cream, but only one as it's quite rich
due to the half jar of Nutella I use on each."
- "I love savoury ones - mushrooms, ham, grated cheese and a tomato sauce."
- "Yummy spicy spinach and green chilli pancakes - probably not for young kids, but we love them!"
- "Blueberries, lemon and pecan syrup."
- "Strawberry jam and squirty cream - with some chocolate chips for good measure."
Liked this? Try these:
Last updated: 9 months ago