To ensure you have a flipping good Pancake Day, we've got a foolproof basic pancake recipe, plus delicious and creative ideas for pancake fillings.
Classic lemon and sugar has to be in there, but what about chocolate spread and bananas, or spinach and red chilli?
Pancakes are good (if slightly messy) fun to make with your children and can make a nice change for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
(Makes around 6-8 large pancakes)
125g plain flour (self-raising will do if that's all you have)
Pinch of salt
Butter/oil (for frying)
- Sift the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a 'well' in the flour and crack the egg in.
- Using an electric hand mixer, or whisk, gradually add the milk until the consistency is between single and double cream.
- Heat the butter/oil in a frying pan and when hot pour in a cup of the mixture. (Tip: using a measuring jug to do this makes it easier.)
- When cooked on one side, turn with a spatula (or toss if you don't mind getting it wrong/have more than five minutes to spare) and cook the other side until both sides are slightly brown.
Serve with honey, maple syrup, chocolate or fruit spread, jam, lemon and sugar - anything you like.
Mumsnet pancake recipes and ideas
- Breakfast pancakes Bananas, sultanas and creme fraiche make this recipe a great way to start your pancake day.
- Buckwheat pancakes The slightly heavier texture of these lactose-free pancakes will go down a treat.
- Cheese and sweetcorn pancakes A savoury take on pancakes which are "great, dead easy and a big hit with the kids".
- Bacon and onion pancakes Spring onions, bacon and chicken stock mean these pancakes are great as a main meal or as a snack.
- Apple pancakes A clever way to get some fruit into your children and delicious to boot.
- American style-pancakes Smaller, fluffier and fantastic with maple syrup.
- Cheddar, chive and potato pancakes Make your pancakes more filling and substantial with grated potato and farmhouse cheddar.
- Flower pancakes Elderflowers, lemon zest and wine make these delicate pancakes.
Even more pancake filling ideas
- Hot smoked honey and mustard salmon, creme fraiche and a squeeze of lemon juice. Alibabaandthe40nappies
- Nutella and ice cream, but only one as it's quite rich
due to the half jar of Nutella I use on each. SecretNutellaFix
- I love savoury ones - mushrooms, ham, grated cheese and a tomato sauce. TaffyandTeenyTaffy
- Yummy spicy spinach and green chilli pancakes - probably for those with teens or empty nesters but we love them! funnyperson
- Blueberries, lemon and pecan syrup. debs75
- Strawberry jam and squirty cream - with some chocolate chips for good measure. TaffyandTeenyTaffy