Opting for a non-alcoholic cocktail could be a good way to save a few pennies, and is just as refreshing as its boozier counterparts.
So if you or your guests aren't drinking, but still want to have an impressive tipple on offer, try these creative cocktail suggestions from Mumsnetters.
Cranberry and ginger ale cocktail
- 1 litre cranberry juice
- 500ml ginger ale
- 500ml lemonade
- Limes, lemons, oranges
- Ice (to serve)
Slice lemons, limes and oranges into segments and place in a 2 litre jug. Add the lemonade, cranberry and ginger ale. Stir gently, then leave to chill. Add ice when ready to serve.
Lychee and lime cocktail
- 1 tin lychees, including syrup
- Juice of a lime
- Mint leaves
Simply tip into a blender and whizz, then serve chilled.
Gingered apple juice
- Carton of apple juice
- Fresh ginger
Put the apple juice, honey and ginger into a pan over a low heat for half an hour or more and leave to infuse. Serve hot.
Non-alcoholic cranberry cider
- 1 orange
- 900ml cranberry juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-inch piece of ginger
- Sugar (to taste)
Use a vegetable peeler to peel two 3-inch strips off the orange, then juice the orange. Combine the juice, peel, cranberry, cinnamon and ginger in a saucepan and simmer over a medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Add sugar (around 225g to 450g) if you like.
- 25ml lime juice
- 25ml cane sugar or syrup
- 100ml fizzy (or still) water
- 2 drops Angostura Bitters (note - this is alcoholic, but as it's only used in infinitesimal amounts, it's not classed as an alcoholic beverage)
Mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small tumbler.
More non-alcoholic drink suggestions
- I quite like elderflower cordial with fizzy water, ice and a slice of lemon. It's sort of white wine spritzer-y, especially if you have it in a wine glass! Kilkers
- Sainsbury's non-alchoholic wine is drinkable. My dad made some non-alcoholic sangria from it, which was absolutely delicious! BB01
- While it's not zero alcohol, a very good low-alcohol replacement for those missing gin and tonics is tonic water, with about five drops of Angostura Bitters, served with ice and lemon. comeonbishbosh
- An interesting combination is ginger beer and pink grapefruit juice. Ivanapoo
- I would definitely recommend Becks Blue - I prefer it now to the real stuff. IssyStark
If you're still stuck for inspiration, try a variation one of the following:
- Sparkling elderflower, apple or grape juice
- Orange and cranberry juice
- Pomegranate juice with ginger ale
- Virgin Sea Breeze cocktail
- Dishwasher vodka and more homemade liqueur recipes
- Non-alcoholic mulled wine recipe
- Chat about food and drink
- Upload your own non-alcoholic drink recipe