All crushed up in an Eton mess, impressive in a pavlova, or just on their own with whipped cream... there are so many brilliant ways to enjoy meringues.
Try this simple and easy recipe for meringues the next time you need a handy dessert.
- 3 large eggs
- 175g caster sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 150C / gas mark 3, and line a baking tray with parchment paper or another non-stick liner. Carefully separate the eggs, placing the egg whites into a completely clean bowl, and retaining the yolks for other recipes.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks. They should be stiff enough for you to turn the bowl upside down but try not to make them completely rigid.
3. Add the caster sugar a little at time, whisking it in before adding more, until the mixture is thick and glossy.
• See more Mumsnet recipes
• Add your own favourite recipe
• Teach your child to cook
• Family meal planner
• Recipe conversion chart
4. Spoon in blobs onto the paper - in rounds or ovals. Size doesn't matter, but if you're making a pavlova you'll want to make one large meringue.
5. Place the sheet in the oven, turn down the temperature to 140C / gas mark 2, and cook for one hour. At this point, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until it has completely cooled - overnight is fine.
6. When they're ready, sandwich together with cream or crème fraîche, serve them plain or crush them with strawberries and cream to make Eton Mess - it's entirely up to you.
Recipe uploaded by Mumsnetter MissSwift
Last updated: over 1 year ago