Dan Lepard's dark rich mincemeat recipe
Dan Lepard has been our guest for cooking webchats several times. This is Dan's quick, suet-free mincemeat recipe.
Dark rich mincemeat
- 2 small dessert apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 medium Bramley apple, peeled, cored, grated
- 300g brown sugar
- 200g raisins
- 100g soft prunes, stoned and chopped
- 100g dried sour cherries
- 275g currants
- 250ml stout or ale
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp brandy or rum
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- Have the dessert apples and all of the dried fruit in a bowl, prepared and ready.
- In a large saucepan whisk the stout with the grated Bramley apple, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice.
- Bring to the boil, stirring often, and simmer for about five minutes until the apple falls apart.
- Add the apple and dried fruit mixture, mixed spice* and butter, and simmer until thick.
- Remove from the heat, leave until warm then stir in the brandy.
- Leave to cool before using.
You can intensify the spices by adding 1/4 teaspoon each of ground mace, cinnamon and clove.
- Slow Christmas food recipes
- Christmas starter recipes
- Search Christmas recipes
- All Christmas content
Last updated: about 21 hours ago