Dan Lepard's gluten-free shortcrust pastry
Love a seasonal mince-pie recipe but can't do gluten? To go with Dan Lepard's easy mincemeat recipe, here is his sweet gluten-free shortcrust pastry recipe.
- 300g gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 75g unsalted butter
- 75g lard
- 2 egg whites
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cut the butter and lard into small pieces, then rub these through the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg whites, plus a drop of water, if needed, and knead into a
- Wrap the dough well and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
Gluten-free doesn't keep well as an unrolled block and is best used fresh on the day, or rolled out to make pastry cases and then frozen unbaked to be used later.
And remember, if you're using gluten-free pastry to make mince pies, use cornflour or gluten-free flour to roll it out.
- Dan's easy sweet shortcrust pastry
- Slow Christmas food recipes
- Christmas starter recipes
- Search Christmas recipes
- All Christmas content