Anjum Anand's one-pot meatballs, eggs and spiced tomatoes
Presenter and bestselling food writer Anjum Anand joined us for a webchat on Thursday 20 March.
We've got two recipes for Mumsnetters to try from her new book Anjum's Quick and Easy Indian.
One-pot meatballs, eggs and spiced tomatoes (serves 4)
Anjum says: "This is a lovely meal. It's easy to make, even while helping with homework, filling and very satisfying. You can use minced chicken instead of lamb, if you prefer. Serve with plain rice or Indian breads. It does take a little longer than some of the other dishes in the book, but is definitely worth having in your repertoire."
For the tomatoes and eggs:
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, grated
0.5 tsp ground cumin
0.25 tsp turmeric
3 large ripe tomatoes (about 450g), chopped
Seasoning, to taste
Good pinch of caster sugar
Handful of chopped coriander
Leaves, to serve
For the meatballs:
250g minced lamb
15g chopped coriander leaves and stalks
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10g root ginger (peeled weight), finely chopped
0.5 tsp garam masala
0.5 tsp ground cumin
- Start with the tomato sauce. Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan that has a lid, add the onion and cook until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cumin and turmeric and stir for 20 seconds before adding the tomatoes, some salt and pepper and the sugar, along with 50ml of water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are cooked. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the meatballs, seasoning generously with salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into balls slightly smaller than a walnut.
- Add them to the pan, cover and simmer for another 16–18 minutes, turning halfway.
- Uncover the pan, adding a little water if it's looking dry.
- Make four little indents in the sauce and crack the eggs into them.
- Cover and simmer for another four to five minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve with a sprinkling of coriander on top.
See also: Spiced pepper and feta cornbread recipe
Last updated: over 1 year ago