The family guide to Heathrow security
We know that travelling with kids can be a great adventure. But it can also get a bit stressful! As part of the Mumsnet Family Friendly programme it's important to us that you have as smooth a journey as possible through our airport. So we're doing our bit to help by putting together some tips to ensure your family get through security quickly.
What can I take through security?
- Pushchairs and baby car seats are allowed through security but do please check with your airline for their own size restrictions. Contact details for all airlines can be found at Heathrow.com/contact
- Baby bags, including nappies and wet wipes can all be taken through, but check with your airline if you plan to take this through in addition to your hand luggage allowance.
- Packed lunches to keep them going - sandwiches, sweets and crisps – are also allowed.
- There are no limits for formula milk powder. There are water fountains available in the departure lounge, bottled water can be purchased in shops after security, and your airline can provide water on your flight
All liquids that aren't baby milk, food or medicine need to be in containers no larger than 100ml each. That's your shampoos, toothpastes, sun creams and so on. These need to be kept in a clear, resealable bag that's no bigger than 20cm x 20cm, with no words or branding on it.
Baby milk and food
- If you're travelling with a baby you can bring sterilised water, prepared milk and expressed milk in cartons or bottles over 100ml. You can also bring baby food or pureed food in jars and containers over 100ml.
- Make sure you only bring a reasonable quantity for your flight.
- The containers do not need to fit inside your resealable bag.
- You may be asked to open the containers and taste the contents.
- Cartons of formula milk are available from shops after security. Boots sell 250ml and 500ml sizes. You can reserve these in advance by emailing email@example.com
Any medication that is needed during the flight and is over 100ml is allowed in your hand luggage. Please bring proof of this requirement to security, e.g. a prescription or doctor's letter.
What do we do at security?
- You'll need to put baby food, milk and medication in a separate tray for screening. To save time, pack them in a separate bag inside your hand luggage so they can be taken out easily.
- You may be asked to taste baby milk or food.
- All games and toys, books and blankets will be x-rayed.
- Pushchairs, car seats and other child-related equipment will also be x-rayed separately. Please fold pushchairs ready for when it's your turn to go through.
- You may be asked to remove your child's shoes; velcro straps could make it a little simpler!
- If your children can walk by themselves then they can go through the metal detector arch alone.
- If you have a child who's not walking yet or is a little fearful of going through alone you can carry him or her through. If the alarm sounds, a member of security will just need to search you both.
For more information please visit www.heathrow.com