The Mumsnet Family Friendly Awards 2012
The winners of our second annual Mumsnet Family Friendly Awards were announced at an event hosted by deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.
Metro Bank, Starcom MediaVest, National Trust and The Manor Arms & The Abinger Hatch pubs won Gold awards, following internal reviews of their family-friendly practices and 'secret shopper' scrutiny by teams of Mumsnetters.
The judges were particularly impressed by:
- Metro Bank's active recruitment of part-time staff
- Starcom MediaVest's 'flexible and remote working' policy
- National Trust's flexible working offer
- The Manor Arms & The Abinger Hatch's commitment to offering an excellent family experience at both of their pubs
- The National Trust created its first ever Kids' Council, recruiting 10 children to advise them on how to make National Trust visits as enjoyable as possible for families.
- ASDA won its award for creating a 'cradle trolley', purpose-built for baby carriers, which helps parents shop with less hassle.
- The Abinger Hatch pub transformed an area of scrubland on the pub property into allotment plots for local schools, families and kids' clubs, with a percentage of the fruit and vegetables grown going to the pub kitchen and being showcased on the menu.
Matalan was appaluded for its decision to remove sweets from tills (to help avoid pester-power) as well as refurbishing its toilets and offering families use of staff toilets if none were available.
Pizza Express was commended for its smartphone app, which makes life easier for families enabling them to pay and go at their table then their meal is finished.
Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg, who hosted the event, said:
"It was a pleasure to join forces with Mumsnet to applaud businesses that are paving the way to greater choice and freedom in parents' working lives.
"Flexible working is beneficial for both parents and businesses and tonight's awards winners prove this. Parents benefit from having a stronger attachment to their workplaces and their children, and businesses thrive from being able to keep the best people for their organisations. This is why I've announced changes for parents to be able to share maternity leave and am extending flexible working rights.
"I'm pleased to see the innovative ways in which these businesses have approached family life, not just to support working parents but also to help families and when they're out and about with their children too."
Mumsnet CEO and co-founder Justine Roberts said:
"It is great to see so many companies embracing the idea that being family friendly can be good for business. Mumsnet users consistently tell us that flexibility at work is a priority, as is thoughtfulness about the challenges facing families in their daily lives. Many of our award winners have addressed these issues head on, and we're pleased to be making a difference, one company at a time."
Full list of 2012 Family Friendly programme award winners
Gold award winners
- The Abinger Hatch and Manor Arms (Gold and Innovation Award winner)
- National Trust (Gold and Innovation Award winner)
- Metro Bank
- Starcom Mediavest
Silver award winners
- ASDA (Silver and Innovation award winner)
- Cool Milk
- Heathrow Airport
- Matalan (Silver and Highly Commended Innovation award winner)
- Pizza Express (Silver and Highly Commended Innovation award winner)
- Squire Sanders
- Talk Talk
Do you work for a Family Friendly company? If you would like to find out how your company could join the Family Friendly Programme and benefit from being a member, please email us at email@example.com
Last updated: 5 months ago