Winners of the Walker Books/Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories competition
We received a staggering 350 entries for our Book of Bedtime Stories competition with Walker Books. We managed to whittle this down to a longlist of 20, and former Children's Laureate and writer Michael Rosen selected the 10 winning authors.
The winning stories include the adventures of a town sheriff who rides his trusty pig rather than a horse, a plucky alpaca who makes new friends when he saves the day at the farmyard, and the eerie tale of a strange creature who wakes every 100 years to steal stars from the night sky. Eight of the winners are Mumsnetters and two are Gransnetters.
Michael Rosen says: "These are brilliant stories which remind us that there is real talent, invention and creativity amongst readers and contributors to Mumsnet and Gransnet. I really enjoyed reading and selecting these funny, clever stories."
And Justine Roberts, Mumsnet co-founder, says: "The 10 winning stories are a real treat to read, and we're confident that The Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories will be enjoyed by grandparents, parents and children for years to come."
The 10 successful authors will each receive £500 and have their story illustrated and published by Walker Books in The Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories. The illustrated gift book will be aimed at under-sevens and, we hope, will become a family classic that children will love to hear and read.
The 10 winning stories (in author alphabetical order) are:
- Polly the Jumping Cow by Jools Abrams-Humphries
- Bedtime at the Lighthouse by Philip Bell
- Time for Bed by Michelle Eckhaus
- The Night Thief and the Moon by Katherine Latham
- A Parcel for Theo by Claire McCauley
- Princess Imogen's Independent Day by Christine O'Neill
- The Dancing Bear by Suzy Robinson
- The Sheriff of Rusty Nail by Sophie Wills
- Celeste Who Sang to the Stars by Kate Wilson
- Allie to the Rescue by Helen Yendall
For the best children's books, look for the bear: www.walker.co.uk
Last updated: over 1 year ago