Write a story for the Walker Books/Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories
Do you secretly have a book inside you?
Would you like to see your story published in a book?
Enter the Walker Books/Mumsnet writing competition and your story could be included in an illustrated gift book of Bedtime Stories for the under-sevens. For your chance to be considered, submit your original manuscript of up to 1,500 words by 30 November 2012.
All entries will be read and a shortlist of 20 stories will be compiled by a panel of leading industry experts, including former Children's Laureate Michael Rosen. The shortlist will be announced on 28 January 2013 and available online for Mumsnetters to vote for their favourite stories and determine the ten winning stories.
The winning authors will each receive £500 and the winning stories will be illustrated and included in a book of bedtime stories published by Walker Books in October 2013.
How to enter
We are looking for fresh voices and original, contemporary ideas. Walker Books believe in publishing quality books containing stories that children will love.
Michael Rosen, Children's Writer and former Children's Laureate
Denise Johnstone-Burt, Publisher, Walker Books
Louise Jackson, Senior Art Director, Walker Books
Rachel Foster, Associate Editor, Mumsnet
Geraldine Bedell, Editor, Gransnet
Useful writing tips
- Remember the stories you loved as a child. What made them special?
- Practise writing regularly – it will get easier to express yourself.
- Keep a notebook and jot down observations and ideas.
- Remember what childhood is like. Capture your inner child.
- Good stories need emotion and good characters.
- Try reading your story aloud.
- Remember part of the story will be filled in by the reader's imagination and the illustrator.
- Read other stories for children and work out what you like about them. Why do they work?
- What do your children or grandchildren like to read?
For the best children's books, look for the bear: www.walker.co.uk
Last updated: 3 months ago