Winners of the Walker Books/Mumsnet Book of Animal Stories competition
We received a record 635 entries for our 2014 Book of Animal Stories competition with our sister site Gransnet and Walker Books.
This was twice as many as last year's Book of Bedtime Stories, but we managed to whittle them down to a longlist of 20, and the 10 winning authors were selected by a judging panel chaired by former Children's Laureate Anthony Browne.
Among the creatures featured in the final 10 are a hedgehog who doesn't want to go to sleep for the winter, a hamster who might (or might not) make the perfect astronaut, and a bat who's scared of the dark.
Eight of the winners are Mumsnet users and two are members of Gransnet. Their stories will be published by Walker Books UK in the form of a beautifully illustrated gift edition aimed at children aged between four and seven, scheduled for release in October this year.
Justine Roberts, Mumsnet co-founder, says: "We were very impressed by the professional quality of the stories submitted by Mumsnet and Gransnet users. The 10 winners are fun, imaginative and a joy to read. I hope The Mumsnet Book of Animal Stories will be a collection that parents and grandparents enjoy reading with their children for years to come."
And one of the winning authors, Susannah O'Brien says: "I have been immersed in books my entire life and to have my own work published is wonderful! Still better, it is in the form of a story that I can read to my son at bedtime. I can't wait to tell him all about Arthur, Teddy and the hamster who went into space."
Watch: Judging the shortlist
The 10 winning stories (in author alphabetical order) are:
- Little Miss Wolfy Good by Jenny Louise Davis
- The Great Meerkat Escape by Nina Hoole
- A Pile of Panda by Julie Innes
- Up In the Trees is Not For Me! by Lindsay Littleson
- The Tale of the Winged Lion by Eilidh Mackay
- Captain Yuri and the Space Mission by Susannah O'Brien
- The Elephant Carnival by Kate Peridot
- Atuki and Serai by Jo Tiddy
- The Hedgehog Who Wouldn't Sleep by Alison Webb
- Basil the Brave by Alice Westlake