Christmas pudding soufflé
Emily Watkins of the Kingham Plough’s Christmas pudding soufflé
Ingredients for the crème patissière base:
- 400ml milk
- 6 large eggs
- 60g caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 30g corn flour
- Zest of two oranges
Ingredients for the soufflé:
- 550g of the crème patissière
- 12 egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 500g Christmas pudding
Method for the crème patissière:
- Heat the milk.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and flours together.
- Mix in the hot milk.
- Pour back into the pan and cook gently until thick.
- Add the zest and chill.
Method for the soufflé:
- Crumble the Christmas pudding into the crème patissière
- Whisk the whites to soft peaks, add the sugar and whisk in until glossy.
- Beat a third of the meringue into the base, then fold in the rest.
- Pour into the prepared ramekins.
- Scrape the tops then run a knife around the edge.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 190°C.