Christmas pudding recipe
Neil Forbes of Café St Honoré's Christmas pudding
Serves 4 (one pudding)
- 125g sultanas
- 125g currants
- 125g raisins
- 20g glacé cherries, chopped
- 20g mixed peel
- ½ Bramley apple, grated
- 20g carrot, grated
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 40g prunes, stoned and chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 20g ground almonds
- 60g bread crumbs
- 1tbsp milk
- 50g soft dark brown sugar
- 75g proper beef suet
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- Pinch each of salt, mixed spice and cinnamon
- Glug each of brandy, sherry and rum
- 4 tbsp stout
- Place the sultanas, currants and raisins in a large bowl. Add the alcohol and leave to soak overnight.
- Line a two pint pudding basin with muslin, leaving enough spare to tie at the top.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of soaked fruit and mix well. Fill the lined pudding basin with the mix and tie up the muslin with a piece of string.
- Gently steam the pudding for two hours in a lidded pot (water covering half the pudding basin). Don't allow to boil dry.
- Before serving, check that the centre of the pudding is piping hot. Serve with brandy sauce or pouring cream.
- More Christmas recipes
- Christmas leftover recipes
- Christmas customs and traditions
- Share your Christmas catering tips