The Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories
After months of hard work, on the part of the authors, readers and publishers, the Mumsnet Book of Bedtime Stories is now on sale.
Aimed at children aged seven and under, the book features 10 prize-winning stories, each beautifully illustrated by up-and-coming artists. It's perfect for reading aloud at bedtime and can be enjoyed again and again.
How did this book come about?
Mumsnet and Walker Books launched the bedtime stories competition for the Mumsnet and Gransnet community back in September 2012. We received a staggering 350 entries and after many afternoons spent reading through the stories, much deliberation and some wrangling, a team from Mumsnet, Gransnet and Walker Books managed to whittle them down to a longlist of 20 and passed this to former Children's Laureate and writer Michael Rosen, who selected the 10 winning stories.
The winning stories include the adventures of a town sheriff who rides his trusty pig rather than a horse, a plucky alpaca who makes new friends when he saves the day at the farmyard, and the eerie tale of a strange creature who wakes every 100 years to steal stars from the night sky.
The 10 winning stories
- Polly the Jumping Cow by Jools Abrams-Humphries
- Bedtime at the Lighthouse by Philip Bell
- Time for Bed by Michelle Eckhaus
- The Night Thief and the Moon by Katherine Latham
- A Parcel for Theo by Claire McCauley
- Princess Imogen's Independent Day by Christine O'Neill
- The Dancing Bear by Suzy Robinson
- The Sheriff of Rusty Nail by Sophie Wills
- Celeste Who Sang to the Stars by Kate Wilson
- Allie to the Rescue by Helen Yendall
Last updated: about 1 year ago